The West Virginia University JW Ruby Research Farm and Hazel Ruby McQuain Equine
Education and Resource Center is located off of the Kingwood Pike in Reedsville,
Preston County, WV. The farm is operated in partnership between the Davis College
of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design and the Extension Service. The 900+
acre farm is home to the horse unit, beef unit, acres of forage production, and
plays host to equine and other community events.
The farm has a storied history as a horse farm. Owned by JW Ruby, it was home to prized Quarter Horses, Saddlebreds, and Standardbreds in the 1970s. From the time WVU took over ownership until 2009 the farm was primarily used for beef cattle production and grazing research. In 2009 with the original 44 stall training barn and a newly constructed indoor riding arena, horses returned to the property and it has been home to our horse unit ever since. Hands-on horsemanship courses are taught at the farm throughout the week, and the facility is rented out to horse organizations and community groups on the weekends for horse shows, tractor shows, dog agility trials, and more!
The farm is going through an exciting renovation as a result of a gift from the Hazel Ruby McQuain Charitable Trust. Phase I construction includes a new multipurpose building with portable stalls, a new outdoor arena, and an educational center with classroom, lab, office, and living space for student interns. To learn more about the redevelopment of the farm visit: http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2015/06/05/wvu-receives-6-7-million-from-hazel-ruby-mcquain-charitable-trust-to-revitalize-reedsville-farm.
The farm is located less than 5 minutes northwest of Reedsville, and 20 minutes southeast of Morgantown. Directions can be found at:
Directions to the JW Ruby Research Farm, Reedsville, WV 26547
Directions from DOWNTOWN to 155 WVU Reedsville Farm Drive, Reedsville, WV 26547 (25 minutes)
- Follow 119 S/Don Knotts Blvd/University Ave towards the Marriott Waterfront Hotel
- Bear L on Dorsey Avenue
- Follow Dorsey Avenue for 1.9 miles
- Continue Straight onto the Kingwood Pike at the 4-way stop light (Atomic Grille will be on your Left)
- Follow the Kingwood Pike for 10.9 miles
- The farm is on the Right.
Directions from I-68 to 155 WVU Reedsville Farm Drive, Reedsville, WV 26547 (25 minutes)
- From I-68 take Exit 4/Route 7 (Sabraton)
- Follow Route 7 East towards Masontown/Reedsville
- Follow Route 7 East for 13.2 miles
- Pass thru the town of Masontown
- Pass the Save-A-Lot, Subway, and Dairy Queen in Reedsville
- Turn R at the 4-way stop sign in Reedsville onto the Kingwood Pike
- Follow the Kingwood Pike for 0.9 miles
- The farm is on the Left.